Workplace, Education & Title IX Investigations
Responsive • Thorough • Impartial
Alison is experienced at conducting prompt and thorough impartial investigations, which she performs for public entities, private employers, and schools from K-8 through university-level education. She consistently provides her clients with thoughtful factual and legal analyses on a wide variety of employment and education matters, including Title IX investigations. Her investigations involve complex and sensitive fact patterns, a wide array of participants, and employees from entry-level to management-level, elected officials and minor children.
Prior to conducting investigations and training, Alison’s practice emphasized employment and public entity matters, focusing on harassment, retaliation, and discrimination issues. She litigated employment matters on behalf of both employees and employers, served as first-chair attorney at jury and bench trials, and has extensive appellate experience in the state and federal courts of California. Alison’s experience with both employees and employers, across all ranges of litigation, offers her a unique perspective allowing her to approach every investigation with impartiality. Notably, she is aware of the benefit that a well-conducted investigation can have towards addressing workplace concerns before litigation becomes necessary.
- Superintendent and supervisor of a large County Office of Education accused of harassment, discrimination and retaliation of employee based on pregnancy.
- Community Services District accused of harassment, discrimination and retaliation by a firefighter based on a medical condition.
- School District accused of discrimination for terminating a long-term District employee based on her age and disability.
- Employee of state agency accused of failing to promote/provide opportunities to employee based on national origin and religion.
- County accused of retaliation for failing to promote employee who engaged in union activity.
- School District accused of retaliation for whistle-blowing and discrimination based on gender (male) for terminating long-term administrator.
- Employee of private employer providing substance recovery and mental health wellness accused of sexual harassment of female employees.
- Fire Services District accused of discrimination for failing to promote firefighters based on gender (female).
- Minor employee of summer camp accused of sexually harassing another minor employee.
- County accused of discrimination for failing to promote employees based on age and gender.
Title IX and Education matters:
- University professor accused of sexual harassment/unwanted touching of a student/University employee.
- School parent alleged that a teacher and principal discriminated against her son based on race.
- University student and sports team member accused of unwanted sexual assault in violation of Title IX by two fellow students.
- University student accused of unwanted sexual in violation of Title IX by fellow undergraduate student.
- K-8 teacher accused of unwanted sexual conduct and racial discrimination towards a minor student.
- Attended a four-day training institute and completed testing to achieve the Association of Workplace Investigators Certificate: AWI-CH, 2019.
- In October of 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019 Alison attended the Association of Workplace Investigators’ Annual Conference, completing over ten hours of training each year.
- In February of 2016, Alison attended a three-day T9 Mastered Training regarding Title IX investigations on college campuses, completing over 19 hours of training, including trauma-informed training.
- In September of 2016, Alison attended the Association of Workplace Investigators’ Investigation Basics Seminar, completing six hours of training.
- Alison obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of California at Davis.
- Association of Workplace Investigators: Membership & Marketing Committee Member, 2018-present, Co-Convener – Sacramento Local Circle.
- Women Lawyers of Sacramento, member.
- Sacramento County Bar Association, member.